Friday, July 8, 2011

Arrived at Lyon

I've arrived in Lyon! I'm actually here... in France... surrounded by French people.

So my flight out from NYC wasn't particularly eventful. We were a bit delayed because the flight crew apparently got stuck in a traffic jam... and then some weather issues kept us on the ground for a bit longer. In any case, the flight wasn't bad. I managed to get about 4 hours of sleep during the ~7.5 hour flight. Not exactly the most restful sleep but enough to keep me going to Lyon.

Once I arrived in Geneva, I had to make my way to the main train station to catch my train to Lyon. (Oh, and forgive the different formatting. The Blogpress app won't let me size them correctly... but if you click on the picture, you should get a larger version.)






The train ride itself was amazing. I mean, in contrast to what we have in the US, the train was fast, quiet, and extremely comfortable. For those who have taken the Acela train in the Boston/NYC/Washington corridor, it's something like that. But better. And cheaper. The views were quite impressive too, though all the pictures I took didn't really come out that well (mainly because the sunlight was reflecting off the glass).






Anyways, so that brought me to Lyon. I've found my hotel and I need to take a shower, get something to eat, and crawl into bed. The 4 hours on the plane really weren't enough. In any case, I've arrived safely and despite being a little tired, I'm extremely excited about getting this thing started tomorrow. Tomorrow morning, I meet with my group and we'll transfer to Modane/Valfrejus. If the weather is as nice tomorrow as it is today, I'm hoping to get a ride in to just loosen the legs up. Oh, and one other thing of note... I used the Pika Packworks bike bag for this trip and it's performed exactly as advertised. Light, protective, easy to move with. I'll probably write a full review of it eventually when I get back to the States.




No comments:

Post a Comment