Friday, May 13, 2011

Riding for the World Bicycle Relief


My apologies for not being able to post recently. Blogger decided to do some extended maintenance (AKA system failure) for the past few days so I haven't been able to write anything.

Some of my more recent readers may not know about this, but I will be raising money for the World Bicycle Relief while training and riding for the 2011 Etape. My initial entry about this idea is here.

I honestly think that this is a great way to combine a passion of mine (not falling off my bike) with a worthwhile philanthropic mission. The World Bicycle Relief has done some amazing work and right now is focused on providing bicycles to improve education. (Education is also an important part of my life, coming from a family of teachers and being heavily involved in education at work.)

If you are at all able, please consider donating to them. (It doesn't even have to be through me....)

The mission of World Bicycle Relief is to provide access to 
independence and livelihood through The Power of Bicycles.
It does this by:

  • Working with suppliers to improve bicycle design while ensuring all changes are culturally appropriate
  • Enhancing distribution with local sourcing, manufacturing or assembly as much as possible
  • Partnering with existing NGO, government and community-based organizations
  • Training field mechanics in maintenance and repair while strengthening the existing supply of spare parts
  • Measuring and evaluating the impact of bicycles and communicating the results to improve programs and increase awareness
As a side note, I am so excited that the Giro is headed into the mountains this weekend... especially up Mount Etna on Sunday. Should be a great spectacle!

No comments:

Post a Comment